Listening to the Spirit: Where My Longing Is Undone #TheLonging23thDays
I entered the journey of listening to the Holy Spirit seeking clarity, only to find myself confronted by conversion. I once assumed listening meant becoming more sensitive, more alert, more spiritually perceptive. I imagined discernment as a quiet inner skill, something refined through stillness and spiritual discipline.
Yet over time, Scripture unsettled that assumption. I have come to see that listening is not first about hearing better, but about being changed more deeply. The Spirit does not begin with my ears. He begins with my life.
When I read the messages to the seven churches, I no longer hear distant rebukes meant for ancient communities. I hear a mirror held up to the church, and to me. The Spirit does not speak in abstractions. He speaks truthfully. He names love that has cooled, faith that is tired, confidence that has quietly replaced dependence. And before He asks anything of the church, Christ reveals Himself. I am reminded that listening always begins with being seen.
This realization has been unsettling. I want direction without exposure, clarity without surrender. But the Spirit refuses that shortcut. He insists on relationship before instruction. He speaks to communities, to people bound together by covenant, not to isolated seekers chasing private certainty. And slowly I am learning that how I walk with others shapes how I hear God.
Isaiah’s vision in the temple has become deeply personal to me. He does not enter that space looking for purpose or prophetic clarity. He simply sees the Lord, high and lifted up. And that vision dismantles him. His cry, “Woe is me”—’Ôy lî—is no theological statement. It is the sound of a soul collapsing under holiness. He calls himself nidmêti, undone, reduced to silence. I recognize myself there. In the presence of God, my competence, my language, even my spiritual confidence fall apart.
What strikes me most is that Isaiah is not sent until he is undone. Fire touches his lips, the very place of his voice. Only then does the question come: “Whom shall I send?” I realize how often I want to answer before I have been cleansed. I want to serve without surrender, to speak without being silenced first. But listening, I am learning, is born in that silence.
This has changed how I understand discernment. What I hear from the Spirit is inseparable from who I am becoming. If I am defensive, I will hear threat. If I am proud, I will hear confirmation. If I am tired, I may hear escape instead of faithfulness. My daily walk, my hidden compromises, my willingness to repent shape the spirit I bring into discernment. The Spirit does not bypass these things. He exposes them.
The seven churches make this painfully clear. One works hard but forgets love. Another believes itself alive while death quietly grows. One boasts of wealth yet stands poor and naked before God. I see pieces of myself in all of them. Listening reveals not only direction, but condition. It shows me where longing has been replaced by habit, where dependence has been traded for control.
I am beginning to understand that listening to the Spirit is not about chasing moments of inspiration. It is about remaining faithful in covenant, about walking honestly with others, about letting truth test me over time. The Spirit’s voice is rarely dramatic. It is steady. It calls me to repent, to endure, to stay awake, to hold fast.
In the end, listening feels less like clarity and more like surrender. Like Isaiah, I must learn to say ’Ôy lî before I dare to say, “Here am I.” My longing is not resolved by hearing more. It is purified by being undone. And only in that undoing do I begin to hear the Spirit, not as a distant voice, but as the faithful presence shaping me toward Christ, one obedient step at a time.
Just Me,
Hanny
Komentar
Posting Komentar