DIVINE HURT #TheLonging29thDays
There are moments when pain arrives without a clear origin. It settles quietly, like a weight beneath the surface, unannounced yet undeniable.
I used to search for its source within myself, tracing memories, measuring circumstances, trying to make sense of what I felt. But the deeper I walked with God, the more I began to sense that not every sorrow belongs to one story alone.
Paul writes, “If one member suffers, all suffer together” (1 Cor. 12:26). The word he uses, συμπάσχει (sympaschei), does not describe distant concern, but shared experience. Syn means “together,” and paschō means “to suffer.” It is not sympathy. It is participation. Not feeling for, but feeling with.
This is because the Church is not merely a gathering. It is σῶμα (sōma), a body. And a body does not distribute pain neatly. It carries it. What happens in one part echoes through the whole, even when the source remains hidden. The life within it is one.
In the beginning, God breathed into man the רוּחַ (ruach), His breath, His Spirit. That same breath now moves within the Body of Christ. One Spirit. One life. And where life is shared, pain cannot remain isolated.
There have been times I felt a heaviness that did not match my circumstances. A quiet grief, almost like an echo. I am beginning to wonder if some of what we carry is not personal, but ecclesial. The Church, ἐκκλησία (ekklēsia), is not just called out, but called together into a shared existence. And in such a mystery, wounds travel. They are not bound by visibility or awareness.
Christ Himself did not stand outside suffering. Isaiah says He “bore” our griefs. The word נָשָׂא (nasaʾ) means to carry, to lift upon Himself. He entered pain, not as observer, but as bearer. And now, in Him, we are drawn into that same movement of shared life. In the Kingdom of God, nothing is simply released or discarded.
Everything is carried. There are moments when an unannounced pain is not interruption but participation, a quiet invitation into a priestly movement of nasaʾ, where a weight is lifted for a part of the Body that cannot yet carry its own.
The early Fathers described this mystery as συμπάθεια (sympatheia), shared suffering, co-feeling, a deep participation in another’s state. From syn, together, and pathos, suffering, it moves beyond emotion into something ontological, a participation in the condition of another within the same life. It is not simply “I feel bad for you,” but something far deeper, “your burden is moving inside the same life I live.” This current can be sensed in the theology of union articulated by , where life in Christ is never isolated but always shared.
Perhaps this is what I am learning, that pain in the Body is never wasted, never isolated. It becomes invitation. Participation. Even intercession.
We have been trained to say “my pain,” “my struggle,” as if the soul exists alone. But Scripture speaks of נֶפֶשׁ (nephesh), a living being always in relation. To live is to be woven into others, into God, into something larger than the self.
And so I am learning not to rush to resolve every ache. Sometimes the question is not, “Why do I feel this?” but “Who is being carried through this?” Somewhere in the Body, unseen, a fracture may exist. And somehow, through the mystery of the Spirit, it is being shared.
This is Divine Hurt, not God wounded in His essence, but God allowing His Body to feel together, to carry together, to be formed together.
And perhaps healing begins here, when we stop isolating what was never meant to be alone, and begin to recognize that even pain can become a place of communion.
Just Me,
Hanny
Komentar
Posting Komentar