Pānîm: The "Plural Face" of God #TheLonging28thDays

I once believed that if I could perceive God clearly, everything within me would finally settle. One face, one רגע (regaʿ), one moment of clarity, one encounter that would silence every inner ache. But deeper into the journey, I realized God does not meet me in finality.

Scripture had already whispered this mystery. The Hebrew פָּנִים (pānîm), “face,” appears only in plural form, faces. Not because God is divided, but because He cannot be reduced to a single gaze or expression. I once overlooked this, still searching for one ultimate vision that would complete me.

Then I came to Jacob, whose story would not leave me. At Peniel, פְּנִיאֵל (Peniʾel), he declares, “I have seen God face to face,” פני אל פנים (pānîm el pānîm), “and yet my life is preserved.” I once imagined peace in that moment, but the text reveals struggle rather than serenity, a night that resists resolution. Jacob did not arrive at God as one arrives at a destination; he was drawn into Him through conflict, through moments when the presence felt like resistance itself, pressing against him and undoing him, and then suddenly becoming the One he clung to, refusing to let go until blessing came. The face he met shifted between opposition and embrace, distance and nearness, without settling into a single form.

In time, I began to recognize my own journey in his. There were seasons when God felt hidden in silence, when I reached out and it felt as though something resisted me. Then there were moments when He was undeniably near, closer than breath itself. At times He exposed what I tried to conceal, and yet even there I sensed a sustaining hold beneath the unraveling. I kept asking which of these was truly Him, until slowly I understood: all of it. Jacob left Peniel limping, and that detail matters, because encounter with God is not observation but transformation. It marks the body, the rhythm, and the direction of life.

Then I noticed something deeper within myself: the more I encountered God, the more my longing increased. At first, I thought something was wrong, as though knowing Him should end desire. But with God it is different; hunger does not disappear, it deepens. This is the invitation of טַעֲמוּ וּרְאוּ (taʿamu u’reʾu), “taste and see,” where every taste awakens more desire rather than closing it.

Jesus speaks into this same mystery when He says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,” πεινῶντες (peinōntes), those continually hungering, and διψῶντες (dipsōntes), those continually thirsting. It is a life held in paradox, where satisfaction and longing coexist without contradiction. Like a spring, πηγὴ (pēgē), rising within, each encounter opens another depth rather than ending the search.
So I stopped asking for finality and no longer prayed, “show me once,” but rather, “meet me again.”

Because I am learning that this longing is not absence but communion itself. Like Jacob, I walk forward marked but unfinished, still seeking, still receiving, still being found. And this is where life becomes most real, not in completion, but in participation in an unfolding life with God that refuses reduction into conclusion, where each step becomes encounter, each silence becomes formation, and each longing becomes deeper communion.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Tetelestai: The Final Longing #The11thDay

The Covenant of Longing: The Wind, the Fire, and the Whisper #TheLonging14thDays

Desiderium Naturale Dei: The Innate Longing for God - #1stDay